The past few weeks have been super duper crazy! and this past month was honestly quite an exciting and eventful month in itself! August started off with getting my feeding tube out and then mid August I moved to my new college town where I now live and attend college. Which explains my somewhat absence and lack of consistency over on here! But don’t worry, I made sure to make (and photograph) a bunch of recipes to keep on sharing with you this fall. I’m also going to be starting a new segment on the blog where I share bits and “crumbs” of my life and things I’m enjoying & loving, so stay tuned for those fun posts soon! I also think it would be fun to do a post on gluten free in dining halls and dorm rooms too, so if that’s something you’re interested in, let me know!
Speaking of August, it’s already now September! which means school is back in session! So I thought it would be fun to share some school lunch fun inspiration with my Grain Free tortilla pinwheels-three ways! But first I have to share with you all about the best GF+ grain free tortillas ever! and those tortillas are Siete Food’s tortillas! They are seriously the best and have great texture, flavor, and are made with awesome real food ingredients! Which is rare in most gluten free packaged products. But Siete tortillas’ ingredient list could not be more simple + clean (no junk!). Site Food’s have three versions of grain free tortillas which are the following: Coconut & Cassava Tortillas, Almond Flour Tortillas, and the *newest* Coconut Chia Tortillas. I also have to note that the family behind this company is incredibly kind and their story is awesome, check it out here!
So to make these fun grain free pinwheels all you need are some Siete Food’s tortillas and a few simple pantry ingredients! The first version are the Pesto Chicken Salad Pinwheels, which are so yummy and full of lovely basil flavor! The second version is a twist on the classic PB & J, but instead of bread we are rolling this classic in Siete’s grain free tortillas! And depending on your allergies, sensitivities, or preferences, you can use any nut or seed butter you want! I personally love SunButter’s sunflower seed spread! and I love using my mom’s homemade chia jam from our ebook (get it here!). But really any fruit jam is delicious in this yummy combo! 😉 Lastly, the Banana SunButter version combines yummy banana, warm cinnamon, and my favorite SunButter!
All these fun GF pinwheels are super easy to make, thanks to the ever so convenient and tasty Siete Foods tortillas! and they make great kid-friendly lunches for school! Pack these pinwheels in cute containers and pair them with plantain chips, clementines, apple slices, grapes, baby carrots, or any of your favorite fruits & veggies! I remember when I was younger my mom would also always include a sweet note in mine & my siblings lunches to read mid-day, as well as something sweet like a piece of chocolate! 😀 I miss those days 😉 Anywho, I hope these fun allergy friendly pinwheels make an appearance in this year’s back to school season lunches! Enjoy!
- 1 package of chicken breasts (cooked, cooled, and shredded)
- ¼ Primal Kitchen Mayonnaise
- ¼ cup of basil pesto
- 4 Siete Food Cassava & Coconut tortillas
- Make the chicken salad by mixing shredded cooked chicken breast in a bowl with the mayonnaise. Slightly warm the tortilla by placing the tortillas in microwave or on stovetop on a cast iron skillet. Once the tortillas are slightly warm and flexible, spread some pesto onto each tortilla. Place a desired amount of chicken salad on top of the tortillas with pesto.
- Roll the tortillas up and using a serrated knife, cut into "pinwheel" shapes. Place in a reusable container and pack away for a fun lunch. Enjoy!
- ¼ cup nut or seed butter
- ¼ cup Strawberry Chia Jam (recipe from here)
- 4 Siete Foods Tortillas
- Spread the nut butter and chia jam on each tortilla.
- Roll the tortillas and than using a serrated knife cut into "pinwheel" shapes.
- Pack in containers for lunch and enjoy!
- 1 banana, sliced
- ¼ cup SunButter spread
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- 4 Siete Foods Tortillas
- Spread the SunButter onto each tortilla and top with sliced bananas and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Roll the tortillas up and using a serrated knife, slice into "pinwheel" shapes. Pack away for lunch and enjoy!
Thank you to Siete Foods for supporting Paleo Crumbs and providing the delicious gluten free and grain free tortillas for this recipe!
“The joy of the Lord is my strength”-Nehemiah 8:10