Hello lovely folks! Happy St. Patty’s Day and yay its finally FRIDAY! College has really made me appreciate fridays so much more, all though who are we kidding i have always loved Fridays! 😉 Today I am sharing a recipe that has become one of my favorite, easy, and yummy go to dorm room recipes- Chocolate Mint Crunch Freezer Fudge! Its made with minimal + simple ingredients that will create a smooth yet crunchy and slightly sweet treat that will satisfy a sweet craving! make a perfect after class snack or bedtime treat! And its chocolate mint making it festive for St. Patty’s today!
Before I get into the recipe, I want to chat a bit. I don’t post as much as I normally do this year due to starting school, and I miss it. So hear I am chatting your ear off in the form of words on your computer screen. Here’s a life update on me: I’m doing well, I am enjoying school (yet still there is no place like home!) . This semester I am really enjoying all my classes, even my english class. which is crazy to think that this will be my last ever english class ever. Im taking a child and family development class (requirement) and it is such a fascinating class! and the teacher is probably one of my coolest college professors so far! I’m also taking 2 nutrition classes, which I of course love! #nutritonnerd One is actually just a lecture about the profession of dietetics, which sounds super boring right? but its actually SO interesting! Maybe thats just the nutrition nerd in me, as well as my excitement and anticipation to be an RD (registered dietitian) one day. My chemistry class is still chemistry (not my favorite). and oh yeah I’m taking golf as a lifetime fitness credit course. It’s a pretty chill class and I like that it doesn’t require you to be super athletic (which I am not) and that it allows you to work at your own pace. Who knows maybe I’ll be an avid golfer one day or perhaps not, only time will tell haha! So thats my academic side of college life right now in a quick nutshell.
Now lets get deep a bit and talk about the lessons Ive learned in college thus far (non academic that is).
- 1.) Don’t fear failure. Its ultimately part of life, we have failed and will continue to fail and spoiler alert life STILL goes on. I know thats easier said than done, but it’s so true. If you fail a test, a quiz, or even a class itself that failure does not define you or what you are capable of. If anything failure will help you learn what you previously did not know and know it even better than before.
- 2.) The reminder of the power of a smile. Smiling can make such a difference, something so simple as a friendly grin can really make someones day so much more brighter. You never know what kind of day someone is having, so a kind smile can really make their day or possibly make an already good day even better. Smiling is contagious, but the good kind of contagious not the nasty germ kind which is also quite prevalent in college-side note remember to wash hands always because its crazy that so many people don’t-EEW!
- 3.) Lastly, taking one, two, or three bananas with you when you leave a dining hall is not stealing, it is just utilizing your resources. Don’t worry you won’t be the only one who does this, and you will be excited (relieved) to see that someone else does this to and they even have a dry erase board with an ongoing number of bananas taken from the dining hall-I promise I’m not making this up.
So now lets get back to talking about the chocolate goodness of these mint chocolate crunch freezer fudge! They were inspired by a Hu Kitchen Chocolate Bar I that I got at a health food store while up in Pittsburgh over winter break. It was so good and I loved the chocolate paired with fresh mint and the element of crunchiness from the genius addition of cacao nibs, it reminded me of a thin mint cookie!
I’m not gonna lie, despite the superfood trendiness reputation cacao nibs have I wasn’t always the biggest fan. If you try them on their own and think it will taste just like chocolate… let me stop you right there they don’t taste like chocolate cause it doesn’t have any sweetness or creaminess to it. BUT I did find that while I don’t care for cacao nibs on their own, they have the most amazing crunch when paired with something already naturally sweet- like sprinkled on top of a smoothie or in this chocolate mint crunch freezer fudge! So if you’ve tried cacao nibs and were also not the biggest fan, try making this and you just might change your mind!
Not only is this easy peasy freezer fudge delicious, it is also packed with awesome nutrient dense goodness! It is full of healthy fat from the coconut oil, antioxidants & minerals from the raw cacao powder + cacao nibs, and the antimicrobial awesomeness from the raw honey.
I hope you all enjoy these freezer fudge chocolate mint bites of yumminess, they are so easy to make that they can be made in a dorm room! and don’t forget to smile to a stranger, you never know the impact your friendly grin might have! (:
- Melt the coconut oil and raw honey on stovetop or in microwave. Once the mixture is melted take off of heat and stir in raw cacao powder, peppermint oil, pink himalayan salt, vanilla extract, and raw honey. Once the mixture is smooth, stir in the cacao nibs. Pour into silicon molds and place in the freezer to set. Store in freezer + Enjoy!
- ** I found that using an immersion blender to mix the melted coconut oil honey mixture with cacao powder helps to give an even smooth + creamy texture once frozen.
“I will send down showers in season; there will be showers of blessings” – Ezekiel 34:2