A question a lot of you are probably wondering right now is “What is this ‘Paleo’ thing she’s talking about?” I am going to do my best to answer and explain ‘Paleo’ as best as I can, using some of my favorite blogs and cookbooks as resources. Like you I am still learning, I am not an expert, nutritionist, or dietician so I highly advice you to check out the links below to read more information from the pro’s.
You may have heard of “Paleo” referred to before as the “Primal Diet” or the “Paleothic Diet” or even “The Caveman Diet”. One thing paleo is not is a “Diet”, it really is more of a ‘lifestyle’, think of it as a way of living. Another thing we paleo eaters are not are cavemen!:) So to be clear paleo eaters don’t go hunting for their own food in the wild, wear animal skin, go without bathing, and go around hitting things with clubs. The reason paleo is associated with caveman is because you are eating real, whole, nutrient dense foods none of this processed junk, we are essentially eating the food our bodies were designed to be eating. And living life feeling great! A simpler way at describing my food philosophy and paleo as well are two simple words: real food!
Paleo has been known to reverse illness such as autoimmune diseases (crohns, colitis, celiac, lupus, hypothyroidism, etc.), diabetes, and more. I even know of some with gastroparesis that have healed and controlled symptoms through a real food/paleo lifestyle! As well as some who have food allergies and sensitivities eat this way and see a big difference in their health and feel a whole lot better. Pretty much anyone who has gone paleo whether they have heath issues or not have found this to help them eat and be more healthy and overall feel great! And they notice so much health issues they didn’t even know they had, just disappear! How amazing is that!
Looking at the above chart may seem a little scary at first, but trust me there is so much delicious food you can eat still! Don’t concentrate on the things you should avoid, but on all that you can enjoy! There are so many blogs and cookbooks out there with recipes replicating some old favorite treats, including everything from Oreos, Reese’s, Poptarts, ice-cream, and even some bread and pasta! While all these are quite tasty, remember we really to need to put more focus on eating whole, real, nutrient dense, and delicious foods.
Paleo may seem scary, or intimidating at first but I want to make it easy and delicious for you! If you have any questions at all please feel free to contact me, I will be more than glad to help you the best I can or redirect you to someone who is more knowledgeable. You can contact me via Facebook message, Instagram DM, or by email at email@example.com! I hope you consider paleo, and take an interest in your health! You won’t regret it! And you will feel great!
Below are some links, books, and cookbooks that I found really helpful, educational, and great for understanding paleo.
Paleo and Primal Information Links:
- Eat the Yolks by Liz Wolf
- Paleo Girl by Leslie Klenke (see my post about her book)
- The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf
- The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson
- Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo
- The Paleo Approach by Sarah Ballantyne
- The Paleo Kitchen by Juli Bauer and George Bryant
- Against All Grains by Danielle Walker
- OMG. That’s Paleo? By Juli Bauer
- Slim Palate by Joshua Weissman
- Make It Paleo and Make It Paleo II by Bill Staley and Hayley Mason
- Gather, the Art of Paleo Entertaining by Bill Staley and Hayley Mason
- Meals Made Simple by Danielle Walker
- Real Life Paleo by Stacy Toth and Matthew McCarry
- Paleo Takeout by Russ Crandall
- Nom Nom Paleo by Michelle Tam
- All-American Paleo Table by Caroline Potter (Preorder)
- Juli Bauer’s Paleo Cookbook by Juli Bauer (Preorder)
Baking and Sweets:
- My Paleo Patisserie by Jenni Hulet
- Every Last Crumb by Brittany Angell
- Everyday Grain Free Baking by Kelly Smith
- Dairy-Free Ice-cream by Kelly V. Brozyna
- Sweet Paleo by Lea Valle